Sunday, June 14, 2009

Benjamin's Here!




Benjamin Taylor Davis made his arrival into this world at 5:59 a.m. on Saturday, May 23, 2009, at 7 pounds 2 ounces, 20 1/2 inches long. It had been a hard labor and delivery - mom's blood pressure spiked so high, they were talking about doing an emergency c-section before I'd even received the epidural - only about 4 hours into labor. Mom was loopy on some "cocktail" the dr. had prescribed before hard labor hit and everything was a fog - I just remember crying at the beginning of each contraction, almost screaming telling Greg, "I can't do it. I can't do it. Call the nurse. Call the dr. I want a c-section. I need the epidural." It was some spacy drugs I tell ya. I dilated to a 4 and they gave me the epidural, then my blood pressure got better. Time passed, I pushed 30 minutes, waited 30 minutes, pushed 30 minutes, waited 30 minutes. The labor and delivery nurse brought in other nurses because Benjamin wasn't progressing as hoped - basically I pushed for a total of 2 hours. About 5 a.m. I threw up, Ben swallowed his meconium and his blood pressure dropped and I was sitting in vomit - not pretty - until he stabilized. Dr. Goff showed up and said, "It's either going to be I use the vaccuum or a c-section. Let's try the vaccuum first." The vaccuum worked - thank goodness. However, when he was born, he was not breathing. I did not know that until later Saturday afternoon - Greg wasn't about to tell me at the time. All I knew was that he was born, Greg cut the cord, I touched his back, and the nurses took over and I didn't see him again for 2 hours after he'd been whisked away to the nursery. They just told me his lungs were girgly and they wanted to observe him.

Since this past Thursday, he's been dealing with a formula change and colic - dad and I have been rotating shifts to give him 24 hour care due to his being uncomfortable a lot. I'll write more later, but thought we'd post a little something for now.

No comments: